Saturday, January 08, 2005

Week One - Analysis

I only started measuring energy and fat intake on day 4, after having a partial fall off the wagon. Whilst I assume that daus 1-3 were all 'good' days, I have eliminated them from week one calculations because I did not keep any records.

Average Kjs: 11,128. This is not great, but only 6% above my target of 10,500. I am confident that I can get week 2's energy intake levels down to such a level as to bring this result into line by the end of week 2.

Average fat intake: 34 gms. This is just over 10% total energy intake via fat and is a great result considering the 78 gms on day 4 which started this whole energy/fat counting process.

The Rules: I have adhered reasaonably well to The Rules. The 7:30 rule was the main concern with a 3/7 (43%) success rate. Only once was fat consumption an issue.

I am already considering some changes to The Rules to make them more effective. The changes I am contemplating are:

1) No Cheese, No Chocolate, No Nuts, No bread to be combined into a 'No forbidden foods' category. A list of forbidden foods would become the item(s) that must be excluded from the diet. The problem I can see with this is that some forbidden foods are good for you (like nuts, especially almonds) and never eating your favourite food may trigger a binge at some point. I will try to think of a way to structure the rules to allow health levels of 'forbidden' foods.

2) Add the energy and fat counts to The Rules. I need to create the calculation to find one's appropriate energy intake to facilitate weight loss. This figure can then be incorporated into The Rules' tick off sheet.

3) Increas the 30 mins cardio to 45 mins cardio. I heard somewhere (actually, it was the trainer on Channel 9's Extreme Makeover) that the body does not really start burning fat till after 30 mins, so an extra 15 mins might prove helpful.

However, I will not consider making any changes to The Rules until after the first month. The Rules are based on an hypothesis which can only be tested using a consistent methodology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home